By Mark Derricutt
Artist: High On Fire
Date / Venue: Tuesday February 23rd, 2016 - Kings Arms, Auckland
It’s been a long 5 years since High On Fire last hit these kiwi shores and two lasting memories from their 2011 show with The Melvins are VOLUME, and PAIN - and watching the sound guys feverishly working to rewire devices and combat power issues moments before the show started, I mentally started bracing myself for the body crushing that was to come.
During that show I mostly hung back 4-5 rows, but tonight I was also shooting the gig so it was front row for me, knowing there would be near zero chance of moving around during the show (at least, not by my own volition). I camped dead centre giving me a favourable angle for shots, unfortunately this also turned out to an apex point for a insane circle pit that broke out during nearly every song.
After 5-6 songs I made my escape from the pit to enjoy some fresh air and enjoy the rest of the show from the sidelines - was it fear for my gear? Partially. Was it fear for my health? Certainly - there’s only so many elbows to the ribs and lower back that an older body can handle - and probably one of the only times I was glad to being a “larger guy”.
But back to High On Fire - with the power issues all sorted band delivered a crushing 12 song set covering their entire catalogue but focusing very much on 2015’s 'Luminiferous' the band did not disappoint - instead delivering a soul crushing, body bruising, ear bleeding night of mayhem.
- The Black Plot ( Luminiferous )
- Rumours of War ( Death Is This Communion )
- Carcosa( Luminiferous )
- Death Is This Communion ( Death Is This Communion )
- Luminiferous( Luminiferous )
- The Falconist( Luminiferous )
- Cometh Down Hessian ( Blessed Black Wings )
- The Sunless Years( Luminiferous )
- The Dark Side of the Compass( Luminiferous )
- 10,000 Years ( The Art of Self Defense )
- Slave The Hive( Luminiferous )
- Fertile Green ( De Vermis Mysteriis )
- Snakes For The Divine ( Snakes For The Divine )